Create Your Own Wealth by Watching the Trends
James Altuscher writing on financial freedom…
At Google, a problem isn’t considered worth tackling unless the solution could affect a billion people.
When you solve problems that big it doesn’t create a ripple effect…it creates a surging, crashing, mile-high wave that reshapes the world.
And the opportunities that I watch for are in that chaos.
It’s dangerous and unpredictable and exciting.
But at some point there is flash of clarity. That’s when you know that the future isn’t abstract… and “tomorrow” bleeds into today.
When you notice a trend, you immediately have a handful of choices because:
• It might indicate what stocks to buy.
• It might indicate what businesses to start. And for every one trend there are many different businesses you can start.
• If it’s a negative trend, it might suggest how you can position your family to survive.
• It gives you something to talk about with your friends.
• It gives you ideas that may morph into revenue streams that nobody has ever thought of before.
I will tell you that the way I make money is through the first and last items listed…
I think of ideas for other companies who call me, and my “business” is to help them implement those ideas on their own and become massive successes.
If you combine the ideas born of trends with an understanding of demographics, there are trillions of dollars waiting to made.
But the easiest (and fastest) way I make money is simply by investing in mega-trends.
“What is the one-sentence summary of how you change the world? Always work hard on something uncomfortably exciting!” – Google CEO Larry Page
Not everyone wants to create a driverless car. Or clean energy. Or solve a billion-person problem.
But I have a list of things that are uncomfortably exciting to me.
Some are small, stupid things…
• Like I’d like to write a novel.
• Or perform standup comedy.
• Or maybe start another business based on my ideas for helping people.
Some things are big, life-changing things. Like pushing myself to keep my eyes open and my idea muscle strong. Just in case I need to change the world.
Every day I wake up a tiny bit afraid.
But I also try to push myself a little closer in those directions. I know that’s how I learn and grow.
Sometimes I push forward. Sometimes I don’t. I want to get more comfortable with being uncomfortable.
And that’s how I profit from trends.
How will you?
Step by step…
1. First you have to understand what economy we are living in right now (the idea economy).
2. Second you then have to build the foundation of the daily practice (10 ideas a day).
3. Third you have to observe trends, pick one or two that you’re most interested in and watch them. Research them. Invest in them. Remember you don’t have to understand how they work, just use your well-honed, idea muscle to figure out what opportunities these new trends will create.
By doing that you can then develop the skills and habits I’ve described, and then build or participate in a community of like-minded people. You will also be able to benefit from the trends that are affecting your life, and everyone else’s.
Image: ©iStock.com/Rawpixel Ltd